Wednesday 8 June 2011

A Religious Experience

Jesus walked past my office today.
He looked just like all those pictures you see of him - long hair and flowing, billowing robes, striding down the street like a tall ship in full sail. I think he had just been to the job center next door. My first thought was - what sort of job would Jesus apply for?
Feeding the masses with fish and loaves of bread was no mean feat - a job in the catering line would be my best bet. Or healing - there's a big shortage of doctors in the country areas, there might be a spot open for him there. And just what did he put down as his occupation on the form? Carpenter? Prophet? Don't get me wrong - my intention here is not to be sarcastic or belittle religion - my underlying thread of thought has no religious connotations at all. My views here are strictly neutral. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this poor soul is most probably unemployable in this day and age.
We often ignore things we see, take no notice of those who are less fortunate than us, blot out those images we think don't concern us. There are people all over the country just like this guy, homeless, unemployable and a little left of center. I see a virtual Cirque du Soleil pass by the office everyday, but for some reason Jesus was a standout.
So did this man who looked like Jesus make an impression? I guess he did - I gave him a second thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment