Thursday 15 December 2011

Farewell, Old Friend


My little old dog was going on 17 and doing really well for her age. Although we had a few dementia and incontinence problems, diminishing eyesight and hearing not as sharp as it used to be she still had a terrific appetite and attitude to match. I envisaged she would make it well into the new year and would peacefully go in her sleep sometime in the future.

But it was not to be. Poor Katie suffered a prolapse. She was still her cheerful little self but there wasn't much the vet could do. At her age she wouldn't have tolerated the anesthetic so it was with a heavy heart we made the decision to put her down.

I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and she's been my constant companion during good times and bad. Loving, loyal and affectionate, she was the dog that comes along once in a lifetime. Irreplaceable.

Goodbye my little friend. I hope they have Schmackos in doggy heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Liz, having lost my dear Herman over a year ago, I remember the time like it was yesterday. My heart goes out to you. Your pup had a great 17 years with you..that is amazing. Losing a dog leaves a big hole in your heart...but over time those many, many sweet memories hopefully help the grief lessen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sympathies, there is nothing so difficult it seems as losing a pet. 17 years gave you many memories of her to treasure. Time will heal.

    ReplyDelete